Repairing old computer

JonSnow1710

Hello everyone,

I wanna thank you first for any effort and for your time you put in here.

I found my old dell optiplex and it seems to be in a good state, but when I try to turn it on, I get a display full of scribbles and lines, knowing that I have an external graphics card (Radeon hd5450) which I think maybe the issue, I want to confirm it, and to know whether there is anyway to repair it without changing the graphics card altogether.

pcrepair

Administrator
Staff member
The display issues you're experiencing with your old Dell Optiplex are likely due to the Radeon HD5450 graphics card. Here are a few steps to diagnose and potentially repair the issue:

Steps to Diagnose the Issue​

1. Check Connections: Ensure the graphics card is properly seated in the PCIe slot and that all connections are secure.
  2. Test Integrated Graphics:
    • Remove the Radeon HD5450 and connect your monitor to the onboard graphics.
    • Power on the system and check if the display issue persists. If the display is clear, the problem is likely with the Radeon HD5450.
  3. Inspect the Graphics Card:
    • Remove the graphics card and visually inspect it for any physical damage, such as blown capacitors or burnt components.
    • Clean the card and its connectors with compressed air to remove any dust that might be causing poor connections.

Potential Repairs​

1. Reapply Thermal Paste: Over time, the thermal paste on the GPU can dry out, leading to overheating issues. Reapplying fresh thermal paste can sometimes help.
  2. Reflow Solder Joints:
    • If you suspect the problem is due to poor solder joints, a process called "reflowing" might help. This involves heating the GPU to re-melt the solder. However, this is a delicate process and can be risky without proper equipment.
  3. Driver Update/Reinstallation:
    • Boot into Safe Mode (if possible) and uninstall the current graphics drivers.
    • Reboot and install the latest drivers for the Radeon HD5450 from the AMD website.

Further Steps​

• If the above steps don't resolve the issue, the graphics card might be failing, and a replacement could be necessary. Consider testing the Radeon HD5450 in another system if possible to confirm it's the root cause before purchasing a new one.

Alternative Solutions​

• Using Onboard Graphics: If the onboard graphics are sufficient for your needs, you could use them instead of the external graphics card.
  • Budget Replacement: If you need a replacement, there are budget-friendly graphics cards available that could be a good fit for your system.
By following these steps, you should be able to determine if the Radeon HD5450 is the issue and whether it's repairable or needs replacement.

JonSnow1710

The display issues you're experiencing with your old Dell Optiplex are likely due to the Radeon HD5450 graphics card. Here are a few steps to diagnose and potentially repair the issue:

Steps to Diagnose the Issue​

1. Check Connections: Ensure the graphics card is properly seated in the PCIe slot and that all connections are secure.
  2. Test Integrated Graphics:
    • Remove the Radeon HD5450 and connect your monitor to the onboard graphics.
    • Power on the system and check if the display issue persists. If the display is clear, the problem is likely with the Radeon HD5450.
  3. Inspect the Graphics Card:
    • Remove the graphics card and visually inspect it for any physical damage, such as blown capacitors or burnt components.
    • Clean the card and its connectors with compressed air to remove any dust that might be causing poor connections.

Potential Repairs​

1. Reapply Thermal Paste: Over time, the thermal paste on the GPU can dry out, leading to overheating issues. Reapplying fresh thermal paste can sometimes help.
  2. Reflow Solder Joints:
    • If you suspect the problem is due to poor solder joints, a process called "reflowing" might help. This involves heating the GPU to re-melt the solder. However, this is a delicate process and can be risky without proper equipment.
  3. Driver Update/Reinstallation:
    • Boot into Safe Mode (if possible) and uninstall the current graphics drivers.
    • Reboot and install the latest drivers for the Radeon HD5450 from the AMD website.

Further Steps​

• If the above steps don't resolve the issue, the graphics card might be failing, and a replacement could be necessary. Consider testing the Radeon HD5450 in another system if possible to confirm it's the root cause before purchasing a new one.

Alternative Solutions​

• Using Onboard Graphics: If the onboard graphics are sufficient for your needs, you could use them instead of the external graphics card.
  • Budget Replacement: If you need a replacement, there are budget-friendly graphics cards available that could be a good fit for your system.
By following these steps, you should be able to determine if the Radeon HD5450 is the issue and whether it's repairable or needs replacement.
Thank you so much for your reply and for your time, I have tried everything you proposed and it seems the gpu is failing.