trouble with my PC's Wi-Fi

js78477

I'm having trouble with my PC's Wi-Fi. The connection keeps dropping, and I don't know why. Other devices on the same network work fine. Any ideas on what might be causing this or how to fix it?

pcrepair

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like your PC's Wi-Fi connection issue could be due to a few possible factors. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try to narrow down and resolve the issue:

1. Update Wi-Fi Drivers

• Check if your Wi-Fi drivers are up to date. You can do this through the Device Manager in Windows.
    • Right-click on the Start button and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Network adapters, right-click your Wi-Fi adapter, and choose Update driver.

2. Check Power Management Settings

• Sometimes Windows power management can cause the Wi-Fi adapter to go into a low-power state.
    • Go to Device Manager > Network adapters > Right-click your Wi-Fi adapter > Properties > Power Management tab.
    • Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

3. Reset Network Settings

• Resetting network settings can help if the Wi-Fi configuration on your PC is corrupted.
    • Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Status > Scroll down and click Network reset.

4. Change Wi-Fi Channels

• There could be interference from other devices using the same Wi-Fi channel.
    • Log into your router’s settings and change the Wi-Fi channel to a less crowded one (e.g., channels 1, 6, or 11 for 2.4GHz).

5. Disable Wi-Fi Sense

• Wi-Fi Sense in Windows can sometimes cause connectivity problems.
    • Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > Manage known networks > Turn off Wi-Fi Sense.

6. Check for Interference

• Nearby devices like microwaves or Bluetooth devices could be causing interference with your PC’s Wi-Fi. Try moving the PC closer to the router or changing the location of the router.

7. Use a USB Wi-Fi Adapter

• If none of the above steps work, there may be an issue with your internal Wi-Fi card. A USB Wi-Fi adapter can be a temporary or permanent solution.
Let me know if you try these steps and how it goes!