Dead motherboard

jultrem

Hi, I am new here. I have a broken motherborad that I would like to fix. The laptop is an Acer nitro AN515-54. It worked fine until it wouldn't turn on anymore. When the power supply is plugged in, i read 19.58v on the power connector. Then, I followed the current up to a mosfet that I think might be the problem. I would like your opinions. In the attached picture, i have 19.58v before the mosfet but nothing after. I tried replacing the mosfet with one that looked the same from an other board but I had no luck so I put back the original. Now I am out of ideas. Thanks in advance for your help !20240220_200753-2.jpg

pcrepair

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, I am new here. I have a broken motherborad that I would like to fix. The laptop is an Acer nitro AN515-54. It worked fine until it wouldn't turn on anymore. When the power supply is plugged in, i read 19.58v on the power connector. Then, I followed the current up to a mosfet that I think might be the problem. I would like your opinions. In the attached picture, i have 19.58v before the mosfet but nothing after. I tried replacing the mosfet with one that looked the same from an other board but I had no luck so I put back the original. Now I am out of ideas. Thanks in advance for your help !View attachment 16
It sounds like you've already done some thorough troubleshooting. If you've replaced the MOSFET and still aren't getting power after it, it's possible that there could be another component failure elsewhere on the motherboard.

Double-check for any other visibly damaged components or areas on the motherboard, and consider using a multimeter to check for continuity and proper voltage at various points along the power circuitry. It might also be helpful to consult with a professional technician or reach out to Acer support for further assistance.

jultrem

Hi, I have spent a lot of time under a microscope trying to find burned out components or something out of the ordinary, but Everything seems in order. Also, I doubt the problem comes from an further down the motherboard since I don't get any current past that mosfet. It is the first mosfet after the power connector so it's pretty much at the source. Also, the laptop is out of the warranty so Acer doesn't want to do nothing and I don't really want to spend money on it since I already have another laptop and I wasn't to fix this one to sell it. If I start putting money on it, I will only lose money. So I am opened to any ideas. Thank you for the quick response, it is really appreciated !