Dell Latitude E7250 Water Damaged

bikger

My Dell Latitude E7250 has been water damaged. Water was being spilled on it for more than a week probably, when I found it, the water was only bottom cover deep but I have to assume it went through or at least around the entire laptop.

When I took the bottom cover off I found water was mostly everywhere.

I left it air drying for 24 hours but I’m still afraid to power it on. One thing that has me concerned is that i found what looks like rust?? on the RAM and wifi card. (Photos included)

Should I try to power it on or do something else?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

pcrepair

Administrator
Staff member
Here are some general steps you can take if your computer has been exposed to water. Keep in mind that these steps may not always be successful, and it's best to consult a professional if you're uncertain or uncomfortable performing these procedures.

1. Power off and disconnect: Immediately power off the computer and disconnect it from any power source. This will help prevent further damage caused by electrical current flowing through wet components.

2. Remove external components
: Disconnect all peripherals, including the keyboard, mouse, external drives, and any other devices connected to the computer.

3. Drain excess water: Carefully tilt the computer to allow any excess water to drain out. Be cautious not to shake or move the computer too vigorously, as this can spread the water and potentially cause more damage.

4. Drying the computer: Place the computer in an upside-down position on a towel or absorbent surface to allow any remaining water to drip out. You can also use a hairdryer on a low or cool setting to gently dry the exterior of the computer. However, avoid using heat directly on the motherboard or internal components, as it can cause further damage.

5. Disassemble the computer: If you're comfortable with it and have experience working with computer hardware, you can consider disassembling the computer to access the internal components. Start by removing the back panel or casing. Refer to the manufacturer's instructions or seek online resources specific to your computer model for guidance on disassembly.

6. Inspect for water damage: Carefully examine the motherboard and other components for signs of corrosion or water damage. Look for discolored or rusty areas, particularly around connectors and chips. If you notice any damage, it may be necessary to replace those components.

7. Cleaning the components: If you identify water damage or corrosion, you can attempt to clean the affected components. Use a soft brush or cotton swab dipped in isopropyl alcohol (at least 90% concentration) to gently remove any residue or corrosion. Allow the components to dry completely before reassembling.

8. Wait and test: After drying and cleaning the components, it's advisable to wait for at least 24 to 48 hours to ensure everything is thoroughly dry. Once you're confident that the components are dry, reassemble the computer and test it to see if it functions properly.

9. Seek professional help: If the computer still doesn't work or if you're uncomfortable with any of the steps mentioned above, it's best to seek assistance from a professional computer repair service. They have the expertise and specialized equipment to handle water damage and repair electronic components.

Remember that water damage can be unpredictable, and even if you take all the necessary steps, there's no guarantee of success. It's always important to back up your data regularly to avoid permanent loss in case of such incidents.

kalistus

The other day that my son mistakenly spill tea on my laptop, this is a quick fix I use:

Air Drying: I Place the laptop in an open, dry area with good airflow. You can position it near a fan or use a cool air blower to expedite the drying process. Allow the laptop to dry for at least 48 hours before attempting to power it on.

Silica Gel or Rice: Some people suggest using silica gel packets or uncooked rice to absorb moisture. While these methods are not scientifically proven, they may help remove some humidity from the air around the laptop. Place the laptop in a sealed bag with the silica gel packets or a container with rice for a day or two.

However, remember that this is not a guaranteed fix and should not be relied upon as the sole solution.