HP xw4600 no functional USB Or LAN Internet Connection

capelyddol

My old xw4600 has been running Windows 11 for many months but yesterday the screen went blank. I suspected the video card and swapped it for a spare which cured the screen problem, but it appears in the process Win 11 had crashed. I went for Recovery (keeping files) but in the process noted all my USB ports were out and although LAN-wired direct to a Livebox 5 the computer was unable to connect to the internet. Win 11 recovery was partial and difficult as my USB mouse couldn't function. Use of the keyboard was painfully slow but I managed to access device manager and noted all the USB's were showing '!' as also the Network Adapter. I assumed a lack of drivers as Win 11 was unable to download them. I attempted to recover the drivers but to no avail. Lastly, I attempted recovery without file save, but it's now stuck on needing internet to download updates, and presumably drivers for the USB's.
I've tried too many things to list, but with no USB ports functional and no internet I'm caught a vicious loop. I'm desperate for some help!

pcrepair

Administrator
Staff member
My old xw4600 has been running Windows 11 for many months but yesterday the screen went blank. I suspected the video card and swapped it for a spare which cured the screen problem, but it appears in the process Win 11 had crashed. I went for Recovery (keeping files) but in the process noted all my USB ports were out and although LAN-wired direct to a Livebox 5 the computer was unable to connect to the internet. Win 11 recovery was partial and difficult as my USB mouse couldn't function. Use of the keyboard was painfully slow but I managed to access device manager and noted all the USB's were showing '!' as also the Network Adapter. I assumed a lack of drivers as Win 11 was unable to download them. I attempted to recover the drivers but to no avail. Lastly, I attempted recovery without file save, but it's now stuck on needing internet to download updates, and presumably drivers for the USB's.
I've tried too many things to list, but with no USB ports functional and no internet I'm caught a vicious loop. I'm desperate for some help!
It sounds like a tricky situation since both your USB ports and network adapter are down, making it impossible to use external devices or download drivers directly from the internet. Here are a few steps you can try to break the cycle:

1. Check BIOS/UEFI Settings:
    • Enter your BIOS/UEFI settings to ensure USB ports are enabled. If they are disabled, enable them.
    • While in the BIOS, also check if the onboard network adapter is enabled. Some BIOS settings have the ability to disable integrated devices, which might cause the issue.
  2. Offline Driver Installation via CD/DVD or Secondary PC:
    • Use a secondary computer to download the necessary drivers for your HP xw4600 (e.g., USB, network adapter) and transfer them to your computer via a CD/DVD or an external drive if you have a working SATA drive port.
    • Look up the model's drivers on HP's website or another trusted source for compatible Windows 10 or 11 drivers (since this workstation is older, some Windows 10 drivers might work).
  3. Use Safe Mode with Networking:
    • Try booting into Safe Mode with Networking to see if the network adapter works in that state.
    • This could potentially allow the LAN connection to work temporarily, letting you download drivers.
  4. Driver Rollback (If Possible):
    • In Device Manager, try to roll back the drivers for both USB controllers and the network adapter to a previous version if that's available. You can do this using keyboard shortcuts if necessary.
  5. Use a PCI Network Adapter:
    • If you have a spare PCI network card or USB network adapter, you can plug it into your workstation and see if it works without requiring extra drivers. Some generic PCI adapters are automatically recognized by Windows, which might help you gain internet access and download the necessary drivers.
  6. Offline Windows Installation Media:
    • If all else fails, consider creating a fresh Windows 11 installation media using another computer. A clean installation might help resolve the driver issues.
    • Use a DVD or a bootable drive if you can get one to work.
Let me know if any of these options seem feasible for your setup!

capelyddol

Sorry for the late response, pcrepair, and many thanks for the information above that you sent me. I tried a number of your suggestions. The xw4600 is an old workstation and HP only offer drivers up to Win 7, which I doubted would work with the later OS. What eventually worked for me was to utilize an old Win10 .iso installation dvd (thankfully the dvd drive still functioned) and temporarily revert back to that OS. This cured both the USB and the internet access problem. Of course, it deleted the personal files but as they were already backed up on a separate disc it was not a problem. From there I was then able to reinstall the Win 11 OS from a USB and I am happy to report all is now functioning well again. A long-winded process, but successful in the end.

Incidentally, I have two desktops and four laptops. According to Microsoft none are capable of running Win 11. All mine have been running that OS for months quite happily. Is it a gimmick to allow MS to sell more of their computers?
Many thanks for your input. It led me to the right solution.

pcrepair

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for the late response, pcrepair, and many thanks for the information above that you sent me. I tried a number of your suggestions. The xw4600 is an old workstation and HP only offer drivers up to Win 7, which I doubted would work with the later OS. What eventually worked for me was to utilize an old Win10 .iso installation dvd (thankfully the dvd drive still functioned) and temporarily revert back to that OS. This cured both the USB and the internet access problem. Of course, it deleted the personal files but as they were already backed up on a separate disc it was not a problem. From there I was then able to reinstall the Win 11 OS from a USB and I am happy to report all is now functioning well again. A long-winded process, but successful in the end.

Incidentally, I have two desktops and four laptops. According to Microsoft none are capable of running Win 11. All mine have been running that OS for months quite happily. Is it a gimmick to allow MS to sell more of their computers?
Many thanks for your input. It led me to the right solution.
Happy you are able to solved the issue