Legion slim 5 display broken

icarus_star

Hello friends, I hope you're doing well.

I have a Legion Slim 5 laptop, and its display has an issue where the lower half of the screen gets corrupted every 4 seconds and then returns to normal. I've switched between the two graphics cards, but the problem persists. I also tested it in the BIOS and Windows Safe Mode, and the issue still remains. The graphics card drivers are up to date.

This started happening during a game. Currently, there is no drop in processing or graphics performance, it's just this display issue that occurs every 4 seconds.

It's very likely that the issue is either with the display connections or the display itself. I've attached a picture of the laptop. I would appreciate it if you could share any similar experiences or knowledge you have regarding this issue.

Model: Legion Slim 5 2023
CPU: i7-13700H
GPU: RTX 4060
Display: 2560*1600 165Hz

pcrepair

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like you’ve done a thorough job troubleshooting the issue already. Since the problem persists across different modes (BIOS, Safe Mode) and with both graphics cards, it’s likely a hardware issue rather than a software one. Here are some steps and suggestions based on similar experiences:
  1. Check Display Connections:
    • Internal Connections: The display cable (ribbon cable) might be loose or damaged. If you’re comfortable opening your laptop, you can try reseating the cable. Make sure the laptop is powered off and the battery is disconnected before attempting this.
    • External Connections: Connect your laptop to an external monitor. If the external display works fine without any issues, it further confirms that the problem is likely with the internal display or its connections.
  2. Inspect for Physical Damage:
    • Look for any visible signs of damage on the display panel itself. Any cracks or damage could cause the screen to malfunction.
  3. Test with an External Monitor:
    • If the issue does not appear on the external monitor, then the GPU and motherboard are likely fine. This again points to the internal display or its connections.
  4. Perform a Hardware Diagnostic:
    • Many laptops come with built-in hardware diagnostics tools. Run these diagnostics to see if they identify any issues with the display hardware.
  5. Consider a Display Replacement:
    • If the above steps don’t resolve the issue, you might need to replace the display. Given that your model is a 2023 Legion Slim 5, it might still be under warranty. Check with Lenovo support for repair or replacement options under warranty.
  6. Professional Repair:
    • If you’re not comfortable opening the laptop or the above steps don’t resolve the issue, it’s advisable to take it to a professional repair service. They can better diagnose and fix hardware issues.
Documenting the issue thoroughly (as you did with testing in BIOS and Safe Mode) will help technicians understand and potentially expedite the repair process. Good luck, and I hope your laptop gets back to normal soon!