Old Desktop Pc not turning on

7908pc

Hey everyone, I just recently picked up this old desktop PC. It is appearantly from a company “Shark Computer” which I couldn’t find anything on, but it does have a Foxconn G31MXP. I connected everything and attempted to boot it up, but nothing shows up, not even the fan or a light. I am new to PC repairs, and I had to do everything myself, but if someone sees something or has a suggestion, that would be appreciated.

Also the PC stood in the rain, but it was first turned on when it was dry. That could have maybe destroyed it, or it could have been defect before, which is probably why the previous owner threw it out.IMG_2900.jpegIMG_2899.jpeg

pcrepair

Administrator
Staff member
First, the fact that nothing is powering on could indicate a power supply problem or potentially a motherboard issue. Since you're new to PC repairs, I'd recommend starting with the basics:

Check the power supply: Ensure it's properly connected to both the wall outlet and the motherboard. You may want to try a different power outlet or even a different power cable to rule out any issues there.

Inspect the motherboard: Look for any visible signs of damage such as burnt components or swollen capacitors. If everything looks okay, try resetting the CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes and then reinserting it.

Test individual components: If possible, try testing the power supply and RAM in another system to see if they're functioning properly. This can help narrow down the source of the problem.

Consider the effects of water damage: Even though the PC was turned on when dry, exposure to rain could still have caused damage to sensitive components. Inspect the motherboard and other parts for any signs of water damage, such as corrosion or rust.

If you're still having trouble after these steps, it might be worth seeking assistance from a professional or someone with more experience in PC repair.