PC freezes and crashes, whats the problem?

lugo

I bought a prebuilt pc a year ago with following hardware:
gefore rtx 3060
intel i5-10400 2.9 Ghz
prime H510M-A motherboard
16gb ram

I was expecting that the pc will work fine for at least a few years, but it started having problems a few months ago: for one the pc freezes sometimes (i cant move my mouse or press the window key, nothing happens) and it only catches itself after like 5-10 minutes, this happens especially when i have multiple programs open; when i turn the Monitor refresh rate to 240 hz the monitor turns black and stays black(even though it used to work and it should work); sometimes i just get bluescreens; sometimes when i restart the LEDs of my pc turn on, but the bios and windows never start up.

these are the main problems. I tried to self diagnose and i looked at the temperature, i did stress tests and ran some system diagnostics and none of those showed any problems. So could it just be a motherboard and is there a way to diagnose that? I dont know much about pc repairing so it could be i didnt correctly diagnose the hardware pieces. i would appreciate any help, cause sending it to a repair shop is pricey

pcrepair

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like you've already done some troubleshooting, which is great. Since you've ruled out temperature issues and conducted stress tests without any problems, it's possible that the motherboard could be the culprit, especially given the symptoms you've described.
To further diagnose whether the motherboard is indeed the issue, you can try the following:
  1. Check for physical damage: Inspect the motherboard for any signs of physical damage, such as burnt components, swollen capacitors, or loose connections.
  2. Test individual components: If possible, try swapping out individual components (RAM, GPU, etc.) with known working ones to see if the issue persists. This can help isolate the problem to a specific component.
  3. Update BIOS and drivers: Make sure your BIOS and drivers are up to date. Sometimes, outdated firmware or drivers can cause stability issues.
  4. Reset BIOS settings: Try resetting the BIOS settings to their default values to rule out any misconfigurations.
  5. Run diagnostic tools: Some motherboard manufacturers provide diagnostic tools or software that can help identify hardware issues. Check if your motherboard manufacturer offers any such tools.
If after trying these steps, the issue still persists, it's likely that the motherboard needs to be replaced. Since your PC is still under warranty, you may want to contact the manufacturer for support or consider bringing it to a repair shop for further diagnosis and repair.

ChatGPT can