Hello everyone,

I have bought a pc that has the following specs:

I5 3570
1tb hdd western digital
128 SSD for OS
Gtx 1050 TI
8Gb ram ddr3
500W PSU

After sometime the pc won't turn on, when I try to turn it on the fans start working but after some seconds it shuts down, the display doesn't show anything, and I notices that the mouse is on but not the keyboard.

I have tried the conventional possibilities, so I have changed the ram, turned the pc on without the gpu, I have bought a new CPU fan, I have reset the CMOS and even changed the battery, I have cleaned the CPU and added thermal paste but still the same problem.

I have also disconnected every cable and put it back again, so I do not know if it is a CPU problem or something else, and I would be grateful if anyone could help.

Thank you for your time.

pcrepair

Administrator
Staff member
It seems like you've already done a thorough job troubleshooting many of the common issues that can cause a PC to not start properly. Given your description and the steps you've taken, there are a few more things you could check or try to narrow down the problem:

1. Power Supply Unit (PSU):

• Even though your PSU is 500W, it could still be faulty. If you have another PSU available, consider swapping it out to see if the issue persists.
  • Check the 24-pin and 8-pin CPU power connectors to ensure they are firmly connected.

2. Motherboard:

• Inspect the motherboard for any signs of damage, such as bulging or leaking capacitors, burn marks, or other abnormalities.
  • Try booting with the bare minimum components (1 stick of RAM, CPU, PSU, and no GPU) to see if it can get to the BIOS screen. If it does, slowly add components back to see if one of them causes the failure.

3. Check Power Button or Case Wires:

• Ensure that the power button on your case isn't faulty. You can try to start the PC by shorting the two pins on the motherboard that connect to the power button with a screwdriver.

4. Test the CPU:

• Since you've replaced the thermal paste and ensured the CPU fan is working, the CPU might still be the issue. If you have access to another compatible CPU, you could try swapping it out to see if the problem persists.

5. Look for Beep Codes (If Applicable):

• If your motherboard has a speaker, listen for any beep codes when you try to start the PC. These codes can give you more specific information about what might be wrong.

6. Inspect GPU Slot and Connections:

• Even though you tried booting without the GPU, make sure there is no debris in the PCIe slot or any damage that might be affecting the system even without the card.

7. Peripheral Issue:

• You mentioned the mouse powers on but not the keyboard. Try disconnecting all peripherals and only using a wired keyboard connected directly to the motherboard.
If none of these steps work, it might indeed be a motherboard or CPU issue, and testing with another system or seeking professional diagnostic tools might be the next step.

JonSnow1710

It seems like you've already done a thorough job troubleshooting many of the common issues that can cause a PC to not start properly. Given your description and the steps you've taken, there are a few more things you could check or try to narrow down the problem:

1. Power Supply Unit (PSU):

• Even though your PSU is 500W, it could still be faulty. If you have another PSU available, consider swapping it out to see if the issue persists.
  • Check the 24-pin and 8-pin CPU power connectors to ensure they are firmly connected.

2. Motherboard:

• Inspect the motherboard for any signs of damage, such as bulging or leaking capacitors, burn marks, or other abnormalities.
  • Try booting with the bare minimum components (1 stick of RAM, CPU, PSU, and no GPU) to see if it can get to the BIOS screen. If it does, slowly add components back to see if one of them causes the failure.

3. Check Power Button or Case Wires:

• Ensure that the power button on your case isn't faulty. You can try to start the PC by shorting the two pins on the motherboard that connect to the power button with a screwdriver.

4. Test the CPU:

• Since you've replaced the thermal paste and ensured the CPU fan is working, the CPU might still be the issue. If you have access to another compatible CPU, you could try swapping it out to see if the problem persists.

5. Look for Beep Codes (If Applicable):

• If your motherboard has a speaker, listen for any beep codes when you try to start the PC. These codes can give you more specific information about what might be wrong.

6. Inspect GPU Slot and Connections:

• Even though you tried booting without the GPU, make sure there is no debris in the PCIe slot or any damage that might be affecting the system even without the card.

7. Peripheral Issue:

• You mentioned the mouse powers on but not the keyboard. Try disconnecting all peripherals and only using a wired keyboard connected directly to the motherboard.
If none of these steps work, it might indeed be a motherboard or CPU issue, and testing with another system or seeking professional diagnostic tools might be the next step.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply, as for the psu I already tried another one and it's always the same, I have tried to turn the pc on with just essentials and that has done nothing either, I do not have another CPU to try, for the motherboard when I try to turn it on without ram, the speaker works and beeps, so does that rule out the Mobo or not ?

JonSnow1710

As for damages, nothing appears to be damages on the motherboard and all the slots seem fine, there are no beeps, just the CPU and psu fans working for some time and then the pc is off.