Replacement PC motherboard use old Windows license?

berntd

Hello
I have a PC with blown Asus Z97 ATX motherboard. Smoke came out - dead. Rest of PC is usable

I would like to purchase a used motherboard for this but re-use the original Windows license.

I extracted the license key of the old hard drive and now wonder if I can transfer it to a new motherboard/CPU system?

The original license details extracted look like this: ( blanked out the real keys with 'x')

Windows 10 Pro
Product Part No.: [TH]X19-9
Installed from 'Full Packaged Product' media.
Product ID: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx match to CD Key data
CD Key: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
Computer Name: XXXX
Registered Owner: Admin
Registered Organization

I obtained this computer used some years ago and have no original media or hologram windows sticker.

If I install the new motherboard and bott form a windows recovery memory stick, will I be able to get this license working?
Or should I try boot from the old harddrive directly?

Best regards
And thank you for any info.
B

pcrepair

Administrator
Staff member
Hello
I have a PC with blown Asus Z97 ATX motherboard. Smoke came out - dead. Rest of PC is usable

I would like to purchase a used motherboard for this but re-use the original Windows license.

I extracted the license key of the old hard drive and now wonder if I can transfer it to a new motherboard/CPU system?

The original license details extracted look like this: ( blanked out the real keys with 'x')

Windows 10 Pro
Product Part No.: [TH]X19-9
Installed from 'Full Packaged Product' media.
Product ID: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx match to CD Key data
CD Key: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
Computer Name: XXXX
Registered Owner: Admin
Registered Organization

I obtained this computer used some years ago and have no original media or hologram windows sticker.

If I install the new motherboard and bott form a windows recovery memory stick, will I be able to get this license working?
Or should I try boot from the old harddrive directly?

Best regards
And thank you for any info.
B
Yes, you should be able to transfer your Windows license to a new motherboard/CPU system. Since you have the product key extracted from your old hard drive, you can use it to activate Windows on the new hardware. You can try booting from the old hard drive directly, but it's generally recommended to perform a fresh install of Windows on the new system to ensure compatibility and stability. You can use the Windows recovery memory stick to reinstall Windows and then activate it using your extracted license key.