Laptop Power on "intermittent" isssues even after replacing the battery

sergio.sq

hi
A month ago, my laptop (HP Envy 15-as002la) which has been in use for over 6 yrs, decided not to turn on. As part of the initial troubleshooting, I disconnected the battery and try to power it on only with the AC adapter. I was able to turn it on ONCE, I backed up my files, and decided to buy a new battery just thinking it was a battery issue. After replcing it, laptop started working "normally again" without major issues.... power on, power off, hibernate.. all was good!

But after 4 weeks of "normal use", thinking that the new battery had solved the problem, the same problem came back. I used the laptop one night, left it with maybe 10% battery and forgot to plug it to the AC overnight. Probably it was drained and the next morning it didn't power on.

Once again, I did the same troubleshooting as I did the first time (disconnected the battery + plug it to AC) and it BOOTED UP after a few times pressing the power button (luckily). Laptop was running only on AC while backing up files. I closed it, and when I tried to open it again to see what could be happening, it doesnt power on :( I would like to know if this could be a sign of problems with the AC input (adapter is working fine with other laptops), RAM issue, HD issue, MOTHERBOARD or any other issue... :(...

Some the things I've tried so far are:
1) First try: laptop on AC, battery disconnected, power button lights on, laptop SEEMS to start, but it doesn't start.... screen is black, some hardward components seem to be starting, but No messages on screen

2) Second try: I unplugged it from the AC, pressed power button for 30 sec to drain it, plug it back to AC, battery still disconnected, press power button and IT DOESNT POWER ON.

3) third try: unplugged it from AC, drained it pressing power button for 30 sec again, plug it back to AC (this time NO light on the AC input), NOTHING HAPPENS (Totally dead).

4) 4th try: connected the battery again, plug it to AC (light goes ON on the AC Input), no light on the power button, NOTHING HAPPENS (totally dead)

5) 5th try: battery disconnected again, press power button for 30 sec to drain it, left it 20 mins without AC and WITHOUT BATTERY, plug it to AC and the LAPTOP TURNS ON AGAIN!!! (fully operational)
WTF could be happening? why is this so intermittent?

Any advice is appreciated.

kalistus

Experiencing intermittent power issues on a laptop can be frustrating, but there are several steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the problem. Here are some suggestions:

1. Check the power adapter: Ensure that the power adapter is functioning correctly. Verify that the adapter is firmly connected to both the laptop and the power outlet. Consider using a different power outlet or trying a different power adapter if possible.

2. Remove external devices: Disconnect all external devices such as USB drives, printers, or any other peripherals connected to your laptop. Sometimes, faulty devices can cause power-related issues.

3. Perform a power cycle: Shut down your laptop, disconnect the power adapter, and remove the battery. Press and hold the power button for about 15-20 seconds to discharge any remaining power. Then, reconnect the battery and power adapter, and turn on the laptop.

4. Update drivers and BIOS: Outdated or corrupt drivers and BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) can cause power-related issues. Visit the manufacturer's website for your laptop model and check for any available driver and BIOS updates. Install the updates following the provided instructions.

5. Run hardware diagnostics: Many laptops have built-in hardware diagnostic tools that can help identify and fix issues. Access your laptop's BIOS or boot menu (usually by pressing a specific key during startup, such as F2, Del, or Esc), and look for options like "System Diagnostics," "Hardware Diagnostics," or something similar. Run a comprehensive test to check for any hardware problems.

6. Reset power settings: Open the Power Options settings on your laptop and make sure the power plan is set correctly. Try resetting the power plan to its default settings or select a different power plan.

7. Check for overheating: Overheating can cause power-related issues. Ensure that the laptop's cooling system, including the fans and air vents, is clean and free from dust or debris. Consider using a cooling pad or an elevated surface to promote better airflow.

8. Reset the CMOS battery: The CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) battery stores BIOS settings and helps power the laptop. Resetting the CMOS battery might resolve power-related issues. However, this process can vary depending on your laptop model, so it's recommended to consult the manufacturer's documentation or support website for specific instructions.

If the problem persists after trying these steps, it might be a more complex hardware issue. In such cases, it's advisable to contact the manufacturer's support or take your laptop to a professional technician for further diagnosis and repair.