MSI GF75 monitor/power circuit burnt out

wolf_mountains

Hi,

I was fixing my MSI GF75 laptop plastic cover with super glue, after I closed it and powered up the laptop I smelled something burnt but there's no indication of a burnt component on the laptop's motherboard.

I contacted a youtuber and he sent me a .cad file, but I don't know how to open it.

Any help how to open the .cad file ?

pcrepair

Administrator
Staff member
It's good that there's no visible damage to the motherboard. The burnt smell could have been from the super glue reacting to the heat of the laptop, which is quite common.

As for opening the .cad file, you'll need CAD (Computer-Aided Design) software to view it. If you don't have one installed, you can try free options like Autodesk's Fusion 360 or FreeCAD. These programs should allow you to import and view the .cad file. If you're having trouble with the software, there are plenty of tutorials available online to help you navigate and use CAD programs effectively.

wolf_mountains

It's good that there's no visible damage to the motherboard. The burnt smell could have been from the super glue reacting to the heat of the laptop, which is quite common.

Well, I don't think it's because of the glue because the laptop won't power up any how.

I disconnected the display and the battery and tried to power the laptop with the cable but it won't work.

The voltages are generally ok, as I measured the voltages on the battery pins and there are 2x 12 and 2x 3.3V.

I also tested the voltage on the power button and there's 3.3V.

I know it's a protection fuse, power mosfet or something similar but I can't find it.

As for opening the .cad file, you'll need CAD (Computer-Aided Design) software to view it. If you don't have one installed, you can try free options like Autodesk's Fusion 360 or FreeCAD. These programs should allow you to import and view the .cad file. If you're having trouble with the software, there are plenty of tutorials available online to help you navigate and use CAD programs effectively.

I opened the file eventually as the same youtuber provided me with the software which is boardviewer and I checked the layout of the board but I also need the schematic too, to troubleshoot the voltages.

I have the GF65 but I don't know it would be the same as for the GF75 ?

This is my laptop:

20240430_070650 2 - Copy.jpg

This area near the power input but there's no sign of burnt component.

20240430_070658 2.jpg