Blue Screen Stuck on "Needs Repair"

A.C. Fairbanks

Hello,

I'm running a Dell Optiplex 990 under Win 10 22H2... I was unable to open the BIOS, despite trying about ten suggested solutions. Then, the last suggestion made the situation worse: The suggestion was to set the system to Normal Start. I did that, and rebooted.

That brought me to a Blue Screen telling me that the System needed a Repair. Three options displayed below. I tried each, and nothing happened. Next, I tried to boot from a Reflect Rescue DVD, but the DVD reader never starts.

What might I try next? (BTW, I have a large mallet at the ready...)

Sincere thanks,
A.C.

Gamepro

So sorry about that, you may find the tip below helpful.
If your computer is stuck on a blue screen, also known as the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), it indicates a serious system error. Here are some steps you can follow to try to resolve the issue:
  1. Restart your computer: Press and hold the power button until your computer turns off. Wait for a few seconds and then turn it back on. Sometimes, a simple restart can fix temporary software glitches.
  2. Read the error message: Take note of any error codes or messages displayed on the blue screen. This information can be helpful when troubleshooting the issue.
  3. Boot into Safe Mode: If your computer keeps getting stuck on the blue screen, try booting into Safe Mode. This mode loads a minimal set of drivers and services, which can help you determine if the problem is caused by a software or driver issue. To access Safe Mode, repeatedly press the F8 key (or another key, depending on your computer's manufacturer) immediately after powering on your computer.
  4. Uninstall recently installed software or drivers: If you recently installed any new software or drivers before encountering the blue screen, they could be the cause of the issue. Boot into Safe Mode and uninstall the problematic software or driver. This can usually be done through the Control Panel or Device Manager.
  5. Scan for malware: Malware infections can also cause system errors. Use an up-to-date antivirus or antimalware software to perform a full system scan and remove any detected threats.
  6. Update drivers and operating system: Outdated or incompatible drivers can lead to system instability and blue screens. Visit your computer manufacturer's website or the component manufacturer's website (such as NVIDIA or AMD for graphics drivers) to download and install the latest drivers. Additionally, make sure your operating system is up to date with the latest patches and updates.
  7. Check hardware connections: Ensure that all hardware components inside your computer are properly connected. Open the case (if you're comfortable doing so) and check that RAM modules, hard drives, and cables are securely seated. Reseat them if necessary.
  8. Test hardware components: Faulty hardware can cause blue screen errors. Test your computer's RAM using a tool like MemTest86 or Windows Memory Diagnostic. You can also check the health of your hard drive using tools like CrystalDiskInfo. If any hardware issues are found, consider replacing the faulty component.
  9. System Restore or Reset: If the blue screen issue started recently and you can't find a solution, you may try using System Restore (if enabled) to revert your computer back to a previous stable state. Alternatively, you can consider resetting your computer to its factory settings, but keep in mind that this will erase all your data, so make sure to back up important files first.
If none of these steps resolve the blue screen issue, it may be best to consult a professional computer technician for further assistance

A.C. Fairbanks

Hi,

I thank you for the interesting list of suggestions, but only #7 and 8 would have been available to me:

There are no error codes on the BSOD screen, and it is the only screen I get get to. I cannot get into Windows, so can't to get to Safe mode by that root. On any restart, the function keys do nothing, to I cant get into Safe Mode from F12s offer of boot options, preventing removing software or drivers. For the same reason, I can't update anything.

I should add that the system can't see my rescue DVDs, or USB sticks. I've tried every suggestion I was able to find before yours, and now the box is in a good local shop.

All the best,

A.C.