Help with Dell xps laptop

div7ne

Hello everyone! I have a weird one here, it's a DELL xps p82g with a motherboard model fdp30 la-k461p rev 1.0 and I was wondering if someone might've had a similar issue before and could point me in the right direction.
The laptop I believe is fully charged and doesn't give picture. The keyboard light turns on, lcd backlight turns on, fans spin up, the motherboard warms up and then it turns off until it repeats the same thing over and over again. I have provided two videos of LED blinking sequences. Any ideas? Thank you!

Last edited:

pcrepair

Administrator
Staff member
Can you describe the LED blinking sequence or pattern (e.g., number of blinks, color of lights, and pauses) here, and I'll help you interpret it. Alternatively, if there are specific error codes displayed, please share them. This information will assist in diagnosing the issue with your laptop.

div7ne

If the battery is plugged in, the two LED blinking sequences that I have provided, are randomly started. The color of LED lights is always white.
The led sequences I would describe as medium, short short short, long
And medium, short, pause, short, long

And if the battery isn't plugged in, the LED stays on for 3s and then powers off

To be completely honest, I have never been this lost when it comes to LED sequences.

pcrepair

Administrator
Staff member
Let's decode the sequences you've provided:
  1. Sequence 1: Medium, short short short, long
  2. Sequence 2: Medium, short, pause, short, long
Given that the LED sequences can be complex and vary depending on the model and manufacturer, here's a general interpretation:
  • Medium, short short short, long: This sequence could indicate an issue related to the system board, memory, or processor.
  • Medium, short, pause, short, long: This sequence might point to a problem with the system's BIOS or an error in the configuration.
When the battery isn't plugged in and the LED stays on for 3 seconds and then powers off, it could indicate that the laptop is not receiving adequate power from the charger or there might be a problem with the power circuitry.
These sequences are often specific to the manufacturer's diagnostics and can vary. To get a precise diagnosis, it might be best to refer to Dell's support documentation for your specific model or contact Dell support directly. You can also try some general troubleshooting steps:
  1. Remove and Reconnect Components: Sometimes reseating components like RAM or the battery can resolve issues.
  2. Reset the BIOS: If you can access the BIOS, try resetting it to default settings.
  3. Check for Faulty Hardware: If possible, test the laptop with a known good charger and battery.
If these steps don't resolve the issue, it may require professional repair.

div7ne

Let's decode the sequences you've provided:
  1. Sequence 1: Medium, short short short, long
  2. Sequence 2: Medium, short, pause, short, long
Given that the LED sequences can be complex and vary depending on the model and manufacturer, here's a general interpretation:
  • Medium, short short short, long: This sequence could indicate an issue related to the system board, memory, or processor.
  • Medium, short, pause, short, long: This sequence might point to a problem with the system's BIOS or an error in the configuration.
When the battery isn't plugged in and the LED stays on for 3 seconds and then powers off, it could indicate that the laptop is not receiving adequate power from the charger or there might be a problem with the power circuitry.
These sequences are often specific to the manufacturer's diagnostics and can vary. To get a precise diagnosis, it might be best to refer to Dell's support documentation for your specific model or contact Dell support directly. You can also try some general troubleshooting steps:
  1. Remove and Reconnect Components: Sometimes reseating components like RAM or the battery can resolve issues.
  2. Reset the BIOS: If you can access the BIOS, try resetting it to default settings.
  3. Check for Faulty Hardware: If possible, test the laptop with a known good charger and battery.
If these steps don't resolve the issue, it may require professional repair.
RAM cannot be reseated unfortunately. It's a soldered smd ram. All other components, cables were reseated and disconnected to make sure one of them isn't causing the problem.

The bios was also reset by removing the cmos battery, however, I cannot enter bios since I'm not getting a picture.
I'm debating to flash the bios, but I need to find a compatible programmer for the wimbond chips.

And I have also already tried with a different original Dell charger and a different battery.

Worst case scenario, the RAM is faulty and cannot be fixed since I don't think I can reball this?