Power on without power button

Gti

Hello,
Model: huawei Matebook D16
Bios: InsydeH20 setup utility v 2.17.
The power button on my laptop does not work anymore. I manage to turn on the laptop by disconnecting the battery and plugin the charger. That s not practical since it means the laptop has to be plugged in all the time.
I'm looking for ways to turn on my laptop without using the power button.
First idea was to setup a random keyboard key to turn on the laptop. But I do not have this option in the bios.
Second idea was to have the laptop turn on when I open the lid. I created a power usage profile and, in the advanced settings, I set up the option activate display when lid opens. But it doesn't work. In my bios, i don't have an option to enable "open lid wake up" or something similar. The only option I have in bios is "other wakeup source" and that is set to enable.
Any idea on how i could fix my problem?
Any other way to turn on the laptop without using the power button?
Is there a way to update my bios to a version that has the "open lid wake up" option?
Thanks!

pcrepair

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like you've explored several potential solutions to your power button issue. Here are a few additional suggestions and steps to try:

1. Enabling Power On by Keyboard​

Although you mentioned that you don't have this option in your BIOS, it's worth double-checking under various sections. Sometimes these options are nested in different menus. Typically, you would look under:
  • Power Management
  • Advanced Settings
  • Keyboard/Mouse settings
If the BIOS doesn't support this feature, consider updating your BIOS if a newer version is available.

2. BIOS Update​

Updating the BIOS might provide new features or bug fixes that could help. Here’s how to update your BIOS:
  1. Check the Current BIOS Version: Verify the current BIOS version you have installed (InsydeH20 Setup Utility v 2.17).
  2. Visit Huawei’s Support Page: Go to the Huawei official website and navigate to the support or downloads section.
  3. Download the Latest BIOS: Look for the latest BIOS update available for your Matebook D16.
  4. Follow Update Instructions: Download the update and follow the instructions provided by Huawei to update your BIOS. Usually, this involves creating a bootable USB drive with the BIOS update files and running the update from the BIOS setup utility.

3. Lid Open Wake Feature​

Some laptops have a feature where opening the lid can wake the laptop. Since this option isn't available in your BIOS, updating the BIOS might help if Huawei has added this feature in a newer version.

4. Using Wake-on-LAN (WOL)​

If your laptop is connected to a network, you can use Wake-on-LAN (WOL) to power it on remotely. Here's a basic outline:
  • Enable Wake-on-LAN in BIOS: Look for an option in the BIOS settings under Power Management or Network settings.
  • Configure Network Adapter: In Windows, go to Device Manager -> Network Adapters -> [Your Network Adapter] -> Properties -> Power Management, and ensure "Allow this device to wake the computer" is checked.
  • Use WOL Software: Use a WOL software or app to send the magic packet to your laptop to wake it up.

5. Power Button Replacement​

As a last resort, you might consider getting the power button repaired or replaced. This would typically involve:
  • Contacting Huawei Support: Reach out to Huawei for support and repair options.
  • Third-Party Repair Services: If Huawei support is not an option, you can seek out third-party repair services that specialize in laptop repairs.

Additional Steps​

• Check Advanced Power Settings in Windows: You mentioned setting up the power profile. Ensure that all relevant options related to lid open actions are correctly configured in the advanced power settings.
  • Try Different Power States: Experiment with different power states such as Sleep, Hibernate, and Shutdown to see if any state responds better to your lid opening.
If you’re still unable to resolve the issue, updating the BIOS is the most promising step, as it might introduce new features or fix bugs that are currently preventing your desired power-on methods from working.